Friday, July 10, 2009

Trying Unity

After working in an extremely complex code base that breaches 1 million lines (scripting included), at the end of the day, sometimes you just want to make games like most other noobs. And here comes the Unity Engine, knocking on my door. This thing is game development on UBER easy mode. In fact, I'd say it's almost too easy for someone like me who is used to thinking about game development from a mindset of - how do we make interoperability between complex systems run smoothly and cleanly. In Unity, scripting aside, everything is basically drag n' drop. The tools and the workflow they have established are fresh, to say the least.

I can't, however, escape the feeling that their target audience is somewhat ... niche. It seems almost everything about the systems they expose are geared towards development of either FPS games or side scrolling games. This perception may be due to my lack of experience with the framework (I've only spent a couple of hours mucking around in the tools, mostly painting terrains...), but the tutorials, etc. they provide sure don't help me see it in a different light.

I need to begin exploring the scripting system to see if this thing is actually powerful and flexible enough to allow me to do what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment